This course covers when diving alone may be applicable, and the need to compensate for those situations, including dive planning, life support system readiness, adaptive training, equipment and responsibility. This course is an introduction to self-reliant diving that helps student divers develop the skills, knowledge and techniques necessary to rely on themselves first, whether or not they are diving with a partner, including:
- The value and application of the buddy system.
- The philosophy of, and motivation for, diving without a partner.
- Potential risks of diving alone, and how to manage those risks.
- The value of equipment redundancy and what back-up equipment is needed.
- Dive planning and gas management including SAC rate calculations.
- The use of redundant air systems.
- The fine-tuning of previously-learned dive skills such as hovering and SMB deployment.